Thursday, August 28, 2014

Thirty Days of Thankfulness-A Countdown: #13


13. Today I am thankful for confidence. Not the confidence of secrecy, though that kind of confidence can be good as well. No, the confidence that allows for action. The "sureness" or resolution that says "I'm going to try!"
The ability to attempt success even if the certainty is not there.
Confidence is freedom. Freedom to move beyond the shackles of fear. Freedom to stand and say, "I'm challenged but I'm not giving up!"
"We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed." (2 Cor 4:8-9)
My Dad, Ronald, took me and my siblings along with him on service calls in his early days as an appliance repairman. He would explain to us what he was doing as he took things apart, diagnosed, repaired, and reassembled. He encouraged us to try to do things for ourselves. My husband is also teaching our daughters this. He seems less bothered by the wailing and fussing of little girls who are challenged with doing tasks for themselves and will stand strong, knowing that they need to struggle in order to succeed.
Today I was able to go to a friend's house and take apart her dishwasher and remove a part, she's got it ordered, and next week I get to put in the new one! Hoorah! (She had already taken some of it apart herself, lest you think I am going to get her a steeper repair bill!)
Confidence can come through the knowing that you will not be destroyed, though you may be scarred. Past successes grow our confidence.
The question is, in whom do you trust?
For appliance repairs, I'm starting to trust a parts warehouse website with video tutorials and fast shipping. I'm just the laborer, not the "doctor".
For life's overwhelming challenges, my hope is in Jesus Christ.
And that's why I'm thankful for confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment