Monday, September 8, 2014

Thirty Days of Thankfulness-A Countdown: #3

3. Today I am thankful for my three daughters. Growing up as the oldest of four girls, I always thought I'd have four children. Well, when I was 8 I gained a brother (I had always wanted one! His name means "God has given").
My husband told me he'd always wanted three kids.
By the time my third pregnancy was past date, we were both quite sure we didn't have the mental and emotional stamina to take on any more of our combined DNA and questioned if the third one could wait a while longer to come out. :D
Truly, it has been challenging and more work to be a mother than I'd have ever dreamed, but the most labor-intensive stage physically has come to an end. Our girls are now all pottytrained, can dress themselves, manage their seatbelts, and can articulate clearly what they need and want.
We are really beginning to enjoy trips together as they are more able to play with each other. The older they get, the more they can see the entire picture instead of their little lens. And, as they are learning that it really doesn't matter who gets the pink cup, they have taught me so much about what is important and what I should just let go.
These girls are causing me to be less selfish, more gracious, to listen more instead of assuming I know what they want/need, and to show me those delightful things I've become to busy to notice.
I get a second chance to view the world as hopeful and precious and innocent and wonderful, and sometimes, it's nice to see it through that lens.
I hope to teach and protect them in a way that will preserve this sweetness for as long as possible, while still instilling compassion and respect for self and others.
And, as long as I'm their mother, I have three girls who find me unconditionally beautiful and remind me that marketing is not realistic.
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
    but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
Honor her for all that her hands have done,
    and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."
-Proverbs 31:30-31
And this is why I am thankful for my three daughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment