Friday, July 19, 2019

Distant: Five Minute Friday

Though intermittent, I'm trying to utilize my posts for when I have something worth reading.
I've been having a lot on my mind lately and am grateful for a chance to share.
This week's linkup on Five Minute Friday is titled "Distant". We set a timer for five minutes and don't take a break to edit or re-write. This is raw, unedited, heartfelt writing that we share and comment on with each other. It's the most uplifting, encouraging writing community and I love the people behind those screens. I was blessed to meet up with many of them in real life a few summers ago at an FMF Retreat.
What a joy to be walking on Earth at the same time as these friends!!

Go!
The thought on my mind is to do with parenting. How do we ensure our children are actually being raised to follow Christ? If we don't do the work ourselves, we are expecting others to usher our children into the kingdom of God. We watch from a distance as the Sunday school teacher or the AWANA leader once a week pours into our kids. Perhaps we pay the tuition to put them into a Christian school so they get five days a week of a spiritual environment, but our distant contributions will not ensure anything if we're not doing work as well.
I could pay a "nursery" to care for my plant five days a week, and then pick it up at the end of the day, hoping that it would flourish in that environment. It might make it okay, but on the weekends, in the evenings, what am I doing to make sure that plant is thriving?

If I don't have my child plugged into a consistent church community because I myself am not involved, how am I being fed to pour out into my kids??

This is a post of self-reflection because God is stirring my thoughts lately. I teach at a private Christian school, but I cannot depend on my children's teachers to do the work I am tasked to do.

I am not allowed to be a distant mother, hoping that my own faith will rub off on my kids. I'm even less prepared to teach them if I'm not being prayed for and held accountable and worshiping corporately with others.

Sure, churches are full of people and people have their own problems, but we need to try, my friends.
Our children are at risk of being drawn AWAY from the love of God and what is true and right and noble and pure, because we are living in a world that wants to destroy our faith.

How are we equipping our kids for shining in the darkness when they grow up and move out??

-Tammy


8 comments:

  1. Hey Tammy, I am your neighbor at FMF this week, nice to meet you. I so agree with your words, I get sad because I meet individuals who think it is the sunday school teachers responsibility to teach their kids, and yet it is ours - parents responsibility to teach them, lead them and set the example. I hope more will. Blessings Aliyah https://setapartwarrior.blogspot.com/2019/07/i-dared-to-draw-near-five-minute-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aliyah, thank you. Your post was so beautifully woven! I am glad to meet you!
      love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  2. Certainly God never gave the instruction of responsibility to teachers or others to train our children. I am grateful for their help - but the ultimate responsibility is mine. Visiting from FMF - glad you joined today! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you at FMF this week, Tammy! This is so true. Kids can learn a lot from Sunday School etc. but nothing can make up for the impact of seeing their parents living out their faith everyday and learning from that example.(Visiting from #14)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley,
      oh so good to see you again! Thanks for coming over!
      love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  4. For kids, I'm not a good example,
    and, not wanting to be rude,
    saw a boy from my mug take a sample,
    and yelled, "Get your own beer, dude!"
    Being a parent, well, maybe fun,
    and maybe it could be worse
    than teaching a child to shoot a gun
    and ride a spirited horse.
    Perhaps God saw it for the best,
    so from kids He kept me far,
    so I would not a young heart test
    in some desert biker bar.
    But one who hurts a child in my sight
    will be explainin' all to Jesus - tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew,
      such delightful poetry.
      "By golly, the chap's still got it!"
      Great to have your energy put into a comment like this, and grateful for your gifts of protection for the young and innocent.
      -Tammy

      Delete