Friday, May 3, 2019

Opportunity: Five Minute Friday

I'm so excited to make my first FMF contribution of 2019.
I love this community and have been really living in a new year with my walk with Christ this school year.
My word transformed from "All" in November. We took a family trip to the coast and the word "Still" became my new word. That was confirmed in December.
Exodus 14:14 "The Lord will fight for you, you need only to be still."

This week's prompt at Five Minute Friday is "Opportunity."
Here we go:

When God gives you a dream, it may start out as a small idea that you're not even sure you'd entertain again. When the dream continues to visit you, something begins to stir and the dream becomes a passion. When you get the opportunity to take that dream and turn it into a reality, that opportunity from God becomes a direct graft into the vine. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:5

In March I got the opportunity to go with our church to La Oscurana in Guatemala. I had a dream two years ago to bring instruments to the children so they would be able to worship even if the music in their heads wasn't the same as the sounds they produced when they sang. God helped me every step of the way, and His grace removed all barriers.

The children were in school when we visited and I was allowed to teach during their regular school day. I had 12 and 13 year old boys who in the afternoons ignored the soccer balls we brought and instead sat with me in the breezeway, hungry for more music instruction.
One student, even on my final day, ignored the pinata and the fresh watermelon, desperate to master the "Father I Adore You" round I had written on a notecard.

My five minutes is up, but my story is only beginning. What God allowed me to be a part of in that little village has made me feel a new spark of life in my heart. I was born to do this. I was born to worship God, and to share that worship with new faces, in a new language.
I have no greater joy than when I work with children and sing about our Jesus!














15 comments:

  1. Oh this is beautiful. I worked with children for 5 years on mission trips to Poland. So much fun. And I also do VBS every summer. Glad to have you here on Five Minute Friday - I haven't been here for a while.
    Blessings
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janis. I have missed contributing. Before being hired full time, I was a regular contributor. What number are you on the linkup?
      -Tammy
      (I always leave my linkup number on the comment so you can find me)

      Delete
  2. You can find me at www.janiscox.com but mostly on medium.com https://medium.com/@AuthorJanisCox. It's a great place to write and connect with Christians and non-Christians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful gift you gave those children in your time and sharing your talents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany, thank you! I'd love to read your blog on the linkup. Can you tell me your linkup number??
      -Tammy

      Delete
  4. Tammy, my heart leaped with joy at seeing you here today!

    What a lovely post, and what heartwarming pictures. Thank you so much for sharing this.

    Sometimes I think the biggest hearts
    come in the smallest package
    to call us out and play our part
    as in some honoured adage.
    The smallest hands reach out to us
    in honest trusting hope
    and is it not exactly thus
    when we come to the end of the rope?
    We turn to God with no more choice
    and it's then our hearts can grow
    to fill the void and give the voice
    to what we knew we'd know.
    Hearts beat and break the cage of ribs
    to be swept up as one with His.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrew.
      Beautiful poem.
      I am in love with those kids. They have stolen my heart and I can't wait to go back!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely surprise to see you here, Tammy! And I loved reading about your trip and seeing the photos. It sounds like an amazing opportunity, and I love that you were able to encourage the children in music and worship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley,
      what a delight to see you here again, my friend. It has been a long while! :)
      I hope to be more regular this spring/summer.
      -Tammy

      Delete
  6. It's good to see you back, my friend! What a beautiful experience to bring music to kids! I've always loved the recorder because I could actually play it (somewhat) ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita,
      thank you. I feel grateful to keep in touch with you on Facebook and Instagram so I'm not completely removed from your goings on. Your photos have been a blessing!
      -Tammy

      Delete
  7. My best friend spent a couple years in Guatemala. I love hearing her stories from there. Glad you had such a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara,
      good to see you again! It was amazing. I can't wait to see where God leads me next.
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  8. Stephanie,
    thank you so much. I've really missed the community and it's great to hear back from so many of you. :)
    -Tammy

    ReplyDelete