Thursday, August 30, 2018

Rush: Five Minute Friday

It has been a crazy long time since I have participated in the linkup. (Blogger actually emailed me today to see if I still wanted to receive comment notifications on my blogs. That's a warning sign.)
The last FMF prompt I wrote on was May 6.
Since then, I have been down and am now back at level, working on getting back up.
God has been doing so much in me, carrying it on to completion and it's still a work in progress, but mostly He has been working out that word "Rest" that I received at last year's Five Minute Friday retreat.
As I prayed all summer about this year's oneword365 (google it. I do mine Sept-Aug instead of Jan-Dec), I had lots of ideas, but the consistent one was the word "All". As in "you can have it all" (google that song!), "I surrender all", and most recently, Jennifer Dukes Lee's book, "It's All Under Control".
Now that the back story has caught you up to date, it's time for this week's Five Minute Friday prompt and linkup.
Here's the link to Five Minute Friday.
The prompt this week is "Rush".

The first thing I thought of when I saw that prompt was the song "Breathe" that starts out really fast and then slows down on the Chorus. "Breathe, just breathe, Come and rest at my feet. And be, just be,
Chaos calls but all you really need
is to just breathe." (Breathe, by Jonny Diaz)


I have been rushing so much. Rushing my kids out the door, constantly feeling the pressure of having to be somewhere on time has led to a high level of stress. Kids operate at a slower pace when they are in the primary grades. My oldest is usually ready on time and is entering middle school.
It's funny that I can't even remember what life was like when she was the one entering second grade and her youngest sister was still in preschool. That was my first year as a working mom.

Rapidly
Underappreciating
Sitting
Here




Martha was in a rush. Mary was not.
Somehow I crossed that line of "being busy means I am balanced and under control."
Instead, I'm overwhelmed by all the wonderful things I am doing for God, trying to make sure He really loves me.
Friends, that's not Jesus and that's not Grace. That's insecurity and Satan's spinning all the plates you're holding.
I am so encouraged to be reading "It's All Under Control." It officially releases September 18, but you can pre-order it now and get the first three chapters instantly in digital form. You also get a couple other freebies.
This book will help you to quiet yourself, to slow down, to have the "light and easy" yoke that He offers us instead of all the extra hitches we've put on ourselves.
If you're like me and tired of feeling the rush, maybe this book will also help you.
From "It's All Under Control" by Jennifer Dukes Lee





It's so great to be back with all of my Five Minute Friday friends! I've missed you and really needed to plug in this summer, but I was in a deep retreat, and it's finally time to surface again. :)

~Tammy

12 comments:

  1. YAY!!!!!!! You're BAAACCCKKKK!!!!!!

    Loved this post, and love the music. And the mary/Martha tag is very appropriate.

    BTW, have you read Kipling's poem, The Sons Of Martha? Here's a link:

    http://www.kiplingsociety.co.uk/poems_martha.htm

    #1 at FMF this week.

    https://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2018/08/your-dying-spouse-510-love-is-legacy-fmf.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew,
      wow. That was a very stark poem of contrasts. Kipling was one of my favorite authors when I was young. I read many of his short stories!
      So glad to be back and to hear from my friends, like yourself. :)
      And always glad to share music!
      love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  2. So happy to see your face in the link-up again!
    I agree, it is easy for the rushing to get too much sometimes and we need to be intentional about taking a step back and slowing down. I'm reading Jennifer Dukes Lee's book too and it is really helpful. I love the song you shared too! (#31 this week)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley,
      it's good to hear from you too, my friend! I am excited you are also reading the book. It has really given me space to breathe and stop my rushing!
      I am glad you enjoyed the song too.
      love,
      Tammy

      Delete
    2. Welcome back, Tammy. Good to "see" you again. The song by Jonny Diaz speaks to me every time I hear it. Thanks for the wisdom you shared. Visiting from FMF. Blessings.

      Delete
    3. Esther, here it is! That's why I didn't see your comment on here at first. It tagged under Lesley. :)
      I am so glad to have shared that song with you. Blessings back, sweet sister!
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  3. So glad you're back. I've missed you. It is so easy to get caught up in the rushing of life. I love that song. I'm in the 37 spot this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara,
      I have missed you as well, my friend. I took on too much and laid low this summer, re-evaluating. It's fun to be back with my family. You are such a blessing and encouragement to me!
      love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  4. Yes, less rushing takes grace. And grace is found when we stop rushing! Glad you joined FMF today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,
      thank you for your kindness. I am so glad you stopped by! I have been on a journey of discovering grace and what it means since 2014. Every year brings more revelation and it is nothing short of Amazing. :D
      love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  5. I love the quote you shared from It's All under Control: "We ask for a map, but instead Jesus gives us a compass and says, 'Follow Me.'" So true. Welcome back to FMF. --FMF 22.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela,
      grateful to be reading the book. It really is speaking to my heart and letting me do exactly this: breathe, just breathe. :) Thanks for visiting! I'll be over to see you soon.
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete