Friday, March 18, 2016

Surprise: Five Minute Friday

We're linked up again at Kate's place. Lisa Jo Baker stopped by this week at the Twitter party. What a treat! Hopefully you will have a chance to read some of the amazing posts this week.

Here's my little offering.

Surprise.

When I saw the prompt last night, I wasn't sure what I'd write about as so many things raced through my head. So I began my morning, the last day before our Spring Break, in my classroom. It's my first year as a full-time teacher. And, there have been many moments of surprise.

But, it is God who holds all the future in His hands and nothing is a surprise to Him.
My desk calendar is full of Thomas Kincade painting details and King James scriptures.
Today's passage?
"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
-2 Corinthians 12:9



And, that was the encouragement I was prompted to share last night as well. "God rarely calls us to His dreams in our own strength." If you're unable to do it alone, that may well be confirmation that you're exactly where God is leading you. I will not have the power of Christ resting on me if I'm able to do something in my own power. I won't need Him. Or His power.

But, when I'm unable, and ready (and humble), and I yield to Him, letting His strength take me through: then His power and glory are beyond measure and the world takes note of something extraordinary and supernatural, and I'm ready to direct all that glory up to the King of Kings who is the King of Glory. I don't need it for myself. I'm enough for God, and He's delighted in me, so I don't need all the earthly accolades. (It makes us immune to the criticism as well. We don't need to let it get us down.)

May the power of Christ rest upon you this week as we get into Easter week! Glory indeed! He is RISEN!!!!

Ha! Surprise, Satan!
"Oh death, where is your sting?!"

I'm linking the video again. So good. Kari Jobe. "Forever"




~Tammy


And a postscript. I ran out of time to say all I wanted to. :)
I have been so surprised by this FMF community. Little did I know when I began writing on five minute prompts, and then participating in a web interview with Asheritah, that I would begin to make lifetime friendships. And, because we share a love of the same amazing God, these friendships are eternal.
I was so excited to surprise our friend Andrew with cards. But, I couldn't. Because we had to ask permission and then if granted, give his address out. You can't always do those nice things as a surprise.
What I didn't know is that sometimes, anticipation brings hope and life and is even better a gift.
I wasn't even sure he would get to celebrate Christmas, or Valentine's Day, but there's a great chance he's going to celebrate Easter still here and still posting.
If you haven't found his blog yet, here's a direct link.
What I didn't know is that so many of the rest of you would also want to send cards. And money to help feed all those dogs that he and Barbara care for. Truly, I should not have been surprised, but it's amazing. God's love poured out is always amazing.
I love this community, and hope you do too!


10 comments:

  1. That postscript part of this post is my absolute favorite. This community is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. God is indeed the master leader. Blessings to you and yours during this Holy Week and Easter week. I'm over in the #43 spot this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara. :) You are such a joy to me. I'm so thankful for our eternal friendship!
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  2. This is great! I love how God surprises us in the things he calls us to and then surprises us by what we can do if we're trusting in his strength. And Jesus rising from the dead is the best surprise of all. Hope you have a great Spring Break. I'm at #68 this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carly,
      right?! I bet Satan was beyond surprised! :D And we need to remember that joy and surprise of the women the next day when they got to see Jesus again and He had risen just as He promised!
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful post, Tammy. For so much of my life I thought I had the strength to carry myself through...but now, I know that I don't...and I am carried by His hands, and the hands of the FMF community.

    It's an honour that is beyond words.

    And I love Kari Jobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew,
      it's such a beautiful revelation that you are strong enough to humble yourself and allow Him (and Him through us) to carry you. You don't have to be strong anymore. :)
      No more mister tough guy. Just mister all-heart. You're not a "softie", but your strength comes from God's strength within you.

      Peace to you and Shalom. :)
      -Tammy

      Delete
  4. "I don't need it for myself. I'm enough for God, and He's delighted in me, so I don't need all the earthly accolades."

    That is a good word, my friend! My small group has been going through a study of the book of Hosea written by Jennifer Rothschild, and over and over again she brings us back to our need to know who we are in Christ so we don't seek our identity elsewhere. If we know Him and know who we are because of Him, we don't need anything else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie,
      oh what a treat to have you stop by! I'm glad this is being confirmed in your study. He's been teaching me this for at least two years and I'm still not always grasping it, but it is gradually getting easier to believe.

      So thankful for you!
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  5. Tammy, such a beautiful post. Enough. My struggle for most of my life is believing I am enough for God, for others. It took me decades to grasp the reality that, because I am enough for God, I don't have to be enough for people.

    I, too, am beyond thankful for the amazing community at FMF. And for meeting you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne,
      see? Twins. :)
      Hope your writing is going as God wants it to-just like your healing. In His time. ;)
      Not that I want you to be delayed, but I pray that in this process you become so much more like Him that you'll look back in joy and awe and wonder!
      Love you eternally!
      -Tammy

      Delete