Thursday, March 31, 2016

Decide: Five Minute Friday

Kate's linkup is live. This week's prompt is "Decide".

GO!

Over ten years ago I was at a Christian conference at the Kahler Motel in Rochester, MN. They did baptisms in the hotel pool, up on the top floor. After we'd all done baptisms, something burned inside of me urging me to lead everyone in song.
I wanted to do anything but pipe up. I love performing in front of others and the like, but this was unscripted and felt like I was interrupting.
Obedience, though? Always a good choice.
I called out very loudly "Um, excuse me! I think we're supposed to sing a song. And the song we're supposed to sing is 'I have decided to follow Jesus'."
I started it out too high, as I was nervous, so it was a little squeaky.
But, that song has so much meaning to me. I decided to be bold because I felt the prompting of the Holy Spirit.
My life has been forever changed.
In the year 2000, just after Spring Break, I decided to follow Jesus as a college freshman. For my own sake. I had always loved Him, but I hadn't truly known Him. I was newly 18. I'd been in a relationship with compromise and was discouraged at its end. And then I came to church and heard the Prodigal Son in a new way. I was weeping silently and hoping nobody noticed.
A couple summers ago playing worship at our church's summer service in the amphitheater, I was introduced to a new version of the song.
"Man of Sorrows".
Oh, Lord. How I was moved!

At the end of your life, you will decide your future. Because it begins the moment you choose. I'm already living my eternal life today because I have decided to follow Jesus. And 16 years later, I have no regrets. I have plenty of mistakes, but Jesus cloaks me in His righteousness and I move on toward His purpose for my life.

What is it? Why, it's His glory! That every breath would declare His praise.

Stop.


~Tammy
***Edit*** So the song I meant to link and reference is not "Man of Sorrows", but we learned them at the same time. They are both from the Hillsong "Glorious Ruins" Album.
The song is "Christ Is Enough"...which uses "I have decided to follow Jesus" as a bridge. :)

P.S. Please include your linkup # or URL for me so I can find you. :)

9 comments:

  1. So glad you chose to follow Jesus friend. Oh and Man of Sorrows...I don't think I've heard this before. At first, I thought it was the song Man of Sorrows in the movie O Brother Where Art Thou. Your song is much better. Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara,
      I'm so glad you liked this song. I goofed and meant to reference "Christ is Enough". Have you heard that one? I've updated my post with the video embedded.
      Love you too!!
      -Tammy

      Delete
  2. Tammy, beautiful! I didn't know you led worship. :) "Back in the day" I was on a worship team, and I loved it. :)

    I would love to hear your salvation story sometime.

    And I completely agree with you. No matter how uncomfortable, obedience is always the right choice. I'm so, so glad God doesn't condemn us for wrong choices. Instead, He loves us and re-directs us, sometimes with consequences, and always with His grace.

    Beautiful post, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne,
      I'd love to come to Colorado and sit with you and share it. :) Thank you for your encouragement. I actually goofed and listed the wrong song. I've updated the post if you want to see the video of the song I had meant to reference. :)
      Your post was so resonant with choices as well. Great week to be in the FMF group!!
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  3. Wonderful post, and wonderful song!

    And what a great decision. I agree with jeanne...I hope you write about your salvation story.

    #2 at FMF this week.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2016/03/your-dying-spouse-137-decide-to-be.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew,
      I appreciate your comments and your time taken to spur me on toward love and good deeds.
      I am surprised that my story is intriguing. I guess we don't think our stories matter, sometimes. :) My story is complex and simple at the same time.
      I linked the wrong song...though I love that one as well. I've updated the post if you want to hear the one I had meant to reference.
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  4. Of course we wrote about the same song...same decision...same JESUS. I have decided to follow Jesus, no turning back. xo FMF#28

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,
      well the song I meant to reference was actually an update of the song we both referenced. It's called "Christ is Enough". I've updated the post with that video linked as well. Hope you'll have time to watch/listen!
      Thank you for being one of my beautiful sisters! I love you!
      -Tammy

      Delete
  5. Deciding to follow Jesus is definitely the most important and best decision we can make, and then it's a constant decision to keep following him and obeying him.
    Great post and I like both of the songs! (I'm at #59 this week.)

    ReplyDelete