Thursday, June 11, 2015

World: Five Minute Friday

Another week, another chance to write on a one-word prompt for only five minutes. We set timers, type quickly, and let it flow without criticism. Then, we link-up our posts so we can read others' posts and they read ours and we have a community that grows from one word each week.
Five Minute Friday.

Go!


Okay, I admit. I took time before I started typing (and my timer) to read some passages on "world". God loved the world and came not to condemn it but to save it. (Remember that John 3:17 is part of that wonderful 3:16 verse!)
Still, many New Testament passages warn us to distance ourselves from the world—yet we're commanded to go into that same world and bring the Good News.

What role do we have in the world? What in the world are we to do? I found John 15 to be my central thought. (cut and paste, friends!)
18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. 20 Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’[b] If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. 21 They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me. 22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23 Whoever hates me hates my Father as well. 24 If I had not done among them the works no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. As it is, they have seen, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. 25 But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason.’[c]

So, as there is increasing pressure to accept our changing world's embrace of non-Christian ideals as "normal", we experience great hatred if we do not do so.
Psalm 46:10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” (World?) :)

Our role is pretty simple. To let God do the speaking. The moving. The leading. We may be hated by the world for looking like Christ Jesus, but if we are moving out of His leading, by His Spirit (verses 26 & 27 of John 15), then we will be motivated by love and righteousness.
God put you in the world exactly when and where He thought you would best be suited for His plan and His reach to hearts not yet reached. Don't discount for a moment where you are and who you are. It is His master plan and you are His handiwork!

~Tammy

P.S. If you visit me from FMF, would you be a dear and tell me which # you are in the linkup? That way I can find you and comment back and read your posts! :)





24 comments:

  1. Tammy, I also looked up some verses but ended up going with a song tonight. :) Loved this: "Let God do the speaking, the moving, the leading." Yes. With His Spirit moving in us, He will lead us by still waters. Blessings on you tonight! (FMF #2)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asheritah,
      I loved your post! :) There's really a theme of not worrying tonight. So blessed to be a part of this all!
      ~Tammy

      Delete
  2. This has been on my mind for the last few weeks, Tammy. I was listening to Dr. James White's "Diving Line" webcast today and he said something that really struck me: "If I love that which Jesus hates, do I really love Jesus?" That was a powerful word to me. People out there are dying and going to hell. They don't need us to applaud; they need us to love them enough to speak the truth and reach out with real love, the kind of love that has a backbone. Thank you for sharing this! (Oh, and I'm #1 this week).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie,
      thank you. (and congrats at #1!!) When I linked, you were the only live one but after it refreshed, I was #5. :)
      And the line between reaching out and lashing out is a fine one. So glad we're being encouraged not to be chickens this week, right?
      There is so much unity in everyone's posts. It's amazing me!
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
    2. The kind of love that has a backbone. Amen, Marie, Amen.

      Delete
  3. This is great. The world will know us by our love, but sometimes people - because of pride - can't recognize love. I love the verses you quoted and the reminder that God will lead and place us where we are to glorify Him. Blessings! (I'm #6 )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      thank you so much! There were so many verses, it was hard to focus in on one small place, but His voice is usually a soft whisper, not a great shout. Glad we're being used together!!
      love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  4. Tammy, so much THIS: "God put you in the world exactly when and where He thought you would best be suited for His plan and His reach to hearts not yet reached." Love thosr words!! And I didn't realize how often world appears in the Bible. Thanks for sharing those verses. Visiting from FMF where Im #8 this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara,
      I am so encouraged by you. Thanks so much! I will pop on over.
      World is there so often, I suppose it makes sense since it's the only place we are really aware of. Ha ha. I think we don't spend as much time contemplating heaven because we're so focused on the life we have here.
      God uses you to encourage me, so I can confirm your time and placing at least today. ;)
      Love and hugs,
      Tammy

      Delete
  5. Nice! I didn't look for Scripture with 'world'; my Scriptural tag (in my head) was "Look here, dudes, I'm making everything new."

    Dying's like that. It's a new world, with different colors, different perspectives. Nothing's the same, and it seems more like the beginning than the end.

    Well, duh...it IS.

    Here from FMF, #16, and I am thereby being a deer!

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2015/06/your-dying-spouse-17-new-world-five.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew,
      your wit is wonderful! I admit you gave me pause when you said you were being a "deer" because then I immediately scrolled up to see if I'd misspelled "dear".
      I'll comment on your blog. I typed out a long comment on my phone but it disappeared. Boo.

      :) You are bringing Joy to the World right now, Andrew.
      ~Tammy

      Delete
  6. I looked at that same verse tonight before I wrote too, Tammy. What comfort there is to know that God is with us regardless of what the world thinks of us or does to us. Enjoyed your post, friend! (#4 at FMF)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holly!
      You are an encourager and I love reading your posts! So thankful for your friendship!
      Love,
      Tammy
      (and? I even read yours before I knew you'd posted here. Whee!)

      Delete
  7. God is in charge and isn't that just so reassuring? Everything about knowing we are right where we are at this time because God has chosen this for us, wraps me in peace. So glad to meet you here at #fmfparty this week. You have already visited me. Thank you for blessing me with your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary,
      you really blessed me with your post. (She's at #6)
      I am so glad for your peace. That is what we all long for in this world, yes?
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  8. #38 visiting you from FMF. I enjoyed your post. I think all too often because people hate us, we start conforming to the world. We don't want to draw attention to ourselves. I think in a sense, that is denying God....when we don't stand up for him. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natasha,
      delighted to have your visit! Oh and how similar our posts seem to be. :) Where we are is so important! And especially in our role as mom to little ones. We really are their world right now.
      God is using you to raise up the next generation of Christ Followers. That is no small calling!
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  9. This is so right-on. God chooses where we "land" in this world of His. I mentioned you in my #fmf post - and I'm at #41 !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,
      three weeks in a row you have blessed me! Thank you for mentioning me. I hope you had a sweet rest last night, and am glad my tweeted post didn't wake you. These time zones really make it hard to be considerate of people's rest sometimes! :D
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  10. Tammy, what a great post. This? "Our role is pretty simple. To let God do the speaking. The moving. The leading." Such wise words here. God may use us to speak to this world in obedience to Him, but His role is to work in hearts. What an amazing thing that He'll use us in this process sometimes. :)

    You shared some great verses. One of my faves is Psalm 46:10. :)

    I'm #14 at FMF. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're right - our posts both went in the same direction! I liked what you said both here and in my comments about God putting us right where we are to serve. "For such a time as this", eh?
    Thanks for popping over to visit today, enjoyed your post and the Scripture shared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthie,
      it was a pleasure to visit. :) And so glad you came to see me as well!
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  12. Great post, Tammy! The world will know us by our love... oh my! We must get this... and live it out loud, so they can see it! (I'm #61 at FMF!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karrilee,
      sorry I didn't reply before now. How fitting that our love would be followed by facing fear in the next prompt. I just had an old Caedmon's Call song pop into my head called "This World". That would have been a great post. :)
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete