Saturday, June 27, 2015

Winning isn't Everything-My 100th Post!!!

This is my 100th post on Sincerity and Hope.
I had a different blog I was typing. And, though I may still post it, it's mostly a thought-collector for the 1,000 thoughts in my mind regarding a recent decision by the U.S. Supreme Court. Yes, each thought needs to come out of my head so I can make sense of them, but it may just be for my own sake.

As I was typing that one, the title of this blog hit me with some truth.

The original post was going to share the goings on at home when my daughters and I played checkers with each other at bedtime. I outlined it, but never got back to filling in the details, and the moment has been lost.

With each decision in a court, there is a winner and a loser. I can't think of any time that I've wanted to win and been happy that I've lost. The more I care about the outcome, the harder it is to accept a losing decision for myself. (Not that I've actually been to court. I have prayed with friends facing court decisions and experienced their reactions and my own with wins and losses.)

At the heart of the feelings surrounding this decision is that sense of winning and losing.

Over 2,000 years ago, some other people also had a sense of loss, of defeat.
Their answer to all that was bad in the world was tried, convicted, and condemned to death. He was brutally tortured before his death.
And? His followers kept hoping for that moment when he would reveal himself, call down fire from heaven and consume his enemies, and take the kingdom by force!

Imagine how they felt when he stated "It is finished." He gave up His Spirit and died. Actually died. Full death. The soldiers checked. He was buried and sealed in a tomb, guarded by soldiers, whose own lives were at stake if the body was removed from that same tomb.

And his enemies? The spiritual ones? They were rejoicing! They had won! Total victory!

We know, though, that it was not the end of the story.
Jesus rose from the dead.
He has not died since then. He is ALIVE!!!
He Lives!!

So, regardless of how large a decision seems to be and how saddened you are at being on the "losing side", perhaps you are in the same place as the disciples right now. Perhaps there is still a comeback from God's hand. We don't know what comes next. But how we react can be telling.

I can understand your disappointment that this did not go "your way". I can understand your concern about the impact of major decisions. I was disappointed, and I am concerned about how this will affect our civil rights.
I cannot understand that if we, who are mere mortals, become antagonistic and offended and offensive, how we can use 1 Corinthians 13 as the "marriage chapter" when we are faced with a different definition of marriage.
"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."
Though we do not have to be in agreement with others, we also know that a gentle answer turns away wrath. For me, I want my testimony as a Christian to be an extension of God's love. He is the Savior. He will save those who want to be saved. I want to be an instrument He uses to lead others to salvation. I don't want to be a roadblock.

Ultimately, God holds the future, and life is worth the living, just because He lives. "Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.
Because He lives, all fear is gone.

Because I know He holds the future, 
and life is worth the living, just because He lives."

I'll leave you with this song by Rich Mullins. It's based on John 16. "That where I am, there you may also be."

John 16:33 (NIV) 33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Sincerely,
Tammy






7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy.
      The Supreme Court cannot change my mind, but I don't want to be ugly in my reaction to their rulings. :)

      Delete
  2. You said this beautifully, Tammy.

    When I think of winning and losing, I think of Randy Shugart and Gary Gordon, the Delta snipers that asked to be put on the ground to protect the crash site for the second Blackhawk downed in Mogandishu in October, 1993.

    They were facing an avalanche of armed militia, and they died protecting the survivors...one of whom, Mike Durant, survived after being captured. The others were killed. Shugart and Gordon went to almost certain death...so that these guys would not die alone.

    They couldn't know the outcome; they saw a need to protect our guys, and they went in. They could see the odds. They went anyway.

    They say men don't appreciate love stories. But what is this, if not a love story?

    What is the Cross, if not a love story?

    You may like my newest blog post; I advanced the schedule, for you. Here's the link -

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2015/06/your-dying-spouse-23-and-there-is-joy.html

    And the moment with your girls...the one you said you thought lost?

    Gad saved it in the scrapbook of your life, the living scrapbook in which He keeps all that is good and innocent, so that you may enjoy it again, and forever.

    In real time.

    With Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew,
      what a blessing to have you visit! Thank you for your encouragement. Jesus has not said "it is finished", but it is looking darker. I needed hope, a breath of air after all the despairing posts that were drowning me.
      I am only given one day at a time, so I am trying to use it for God's glory. You are an encouragement in that pursuit. Thank you, friend and brother.
      ~Tammy

      Delete
  3. Oh, Yes, Tammy! He holds the future! He's got the winning hand - we just need to keep our eyes focused on Him and our hearts loving our neighbors!!!! Beautiful encouraging reminder you've written on having Faith that He's got it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maryleigh,
      Thank you! I enjoyed your post on this subject as well. (Just read it) So glad we both are being directed to look to Him instead of wringing our hands and only looking around at the circumstances. And I love your "we've got more than 50 righteous"...made me laugh aloud!
      So thankful for our time together in Nebraska.
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this! It definitely puts things into perspective for us as Christians. I have found that it's easy for us to respond out of fear or anger. But we have nothing to be afraid of! Because He lives, we can (and will) face tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete