Friday, June 5, 2015

Gift: Five Minute Friday

Every Friday (or Thursday night for those of us who can't wait), a group of us gather together and take five minutes to write on a one-word prompt without worrying about spelling, spacing, or anything else but just pouring our hearts out. Won't you join us? Here's the linkup for this week's prompt: Gift.

Immediately, the word in my mind when I heard "gift" was "Time".

I wrote this week for the BraveGirlCommunity on "Being There". And, due to being with my family and all the end of the year fun, I have not been online much. Last night I was bookkeeping instead of blogging and the sweet Susan Shipe @Hopeful50 sent a tweet telling me she'd missed me.
Even that she took time to do that was a blessing.


"Father of Lights, you delight in your children. Every good and perfect gift comes from you, Father of Lights." That was a praise-and-worship song in my college days that still edifies me. (based on James 1:17 "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." )

By being present, by looking at our kids with our eyes instead of through a camera lens, we risk losing the surface memory, but instead it penetrates our minds and hearts.
Are you focused on whether or not your lens is in focus? Or are you focused on what is happening in front of you?


My parents gave us the gift of their presence for my daughter's kindergarten graduation. (400 miles for a Tuesday night program!) And? Due to their gift (and sacrifice) of time, they were there at breakfast when she lost her first tooth, they saw her little sister's preschool program (which their own daughter directed), and they saw their daughter receive a Pillar of Character award which was a testimony to the legacy of faith they'd presented.

I truly appreciate the gift of my parents' presence at almost every major event of my life. When they didn't or couldn't make it, there was an effort to reach out to me.

Love is a choice, love is a gift, and I can live in love of others because of the greatest gift of all: Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His one and only son that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

The other gift I'm learning this year is grace, but my timer is telling me to save that for another week. :)
~Tammy

9 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm visiting from Five Minute Friday. I totally agree often the best gift we can give people is our time. Someone making time for me means a lot more to me and shows love more than an actual physical gift and Jesus is the prime example of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carly,
      thanks for the visit! :) I'll try to find you and leave a comment too.
      ~Tammy
      P.S. And thanks for your time. :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful words. Giving of our time is a lovely gift. It is something that is greatly appreciated to this who are in need xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Charlotte! :) Kindred Spirits, you and I.
      ~Tammy
      I enjoyed your post as well.

      Delete
  3. Tammy, HE truly is the greatest Gift and it is HIM that binds us all together in love. Grandma & Grandpa deserve a medal for driving that distance for a kindergarten graduation! Yay them! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I agree. I'm so thankful for them!
      And for you. (hugs)
      ~Tammy

      Delete
  4. Your parents examples to you and know their grandkids is indeed a gift. And yes grace is a gift too. I am #18 this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara!
      Thank you. And thanks for telling me where to find you. I really need to add a widget that lets everyone just link their post with their comments. Any ideas? :)
      Can't wait to read yours.
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  5. How wonderful to have that legacy in your family. I love the song...I had never heard it before...thank you for sharing...Love gloria

    ReplyDelete