Friday, November 13, 2020

Five Minute Friday: Cancel

 This is part of the Five Minute Friday linkup. You set a timer and write for five minutes on the word prompt without editing.
I began in this linkup group in 2014 or 2015. Though I'm not a frequent contributor these days, tonight I'm in the group!

This week's word is "Cancel".

Though I'm tempted to vent my frustration as I live in a state with a high level of panic and a governor who has issued "mandates" through "emergency power" for the last 8 months straight and recently issued a "two week freeze", I am led a different direction.

"Cancel her debt," He said.

Paid in full.

How? I come from a poor family. I have no nobility, no inheritance. I would have been doomed to work off my debt as a slave until the day I breathed my last.

Instead, He looks at me with tender, loving eyes.

"And now, my daughter, don’t be afraid. I will do for you all you ask. All the people of my town know that you are a woman of noble character." (Ruth 3:11)

He is Boaz, I am Ruth.

He is Jesus, I am chosen, beloved, highly favored.

I choose to accept this gift.

I cancel sin and guilt and shame when they try to tell me that "that's your name."

Jesus has ransomed me, there is none closer.

"Aun cuando yo pase por el oscuro valle de la muerte, no temeré porque tú estás a mi lado. Tu vara y tu cayado me protegen y me confortan." (Salmo 23:4)
Even when I pass through death's dark valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.

In the intimate form of "you", the Spanish tells me that in the very darkest of times, Jesus is intimately, dearly, close beside me, protecting me as a cherished family member.

There is no formal distance.

What is canceled this year? Our list of wrongs. Our idols. All that we worshiped before life was put on hold.

What is not canceled?

Hope.

"I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes to the Father but through me." John 14:6

"A thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices, for yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees, oh hear the angel voices, oh night divine, oh night when Christ was born."

I pray that God would cancel fear for you.
From the end of last year, at Christmas Eve service, He had me pouring through my Bible for the phrase "Do not be afraid". It was in all the gospels as the angels and even Jesus appeared to mankind.

In 2020, God is continually repeating Himself, "Do not be afraid, do not be discouraged."

Have courage, my friends. In 2020, fear is a liar, and fear is canceled.

Sincerely,

Tammy


 

11 comments:

  1. I started out thinking of all the things I want or need to do being cancelled, but then also realized that my cancelled debt is something I'm actually so grateful for. Loved the beautiful lesson of grace and love you shared here.

    FMF#27

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kym, thank you. I'll pop on over and read yours as well! :)
      -Tammy

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, just beautiful.
    You also reminded me of Matthew West's 'Hello My Name Is'
    Your FMF Neighbour #30

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, so glad I could remind you of that song. Our identity in Christ is SO important! Glad you're my neighbor this week. (and your spelling. I can imagine your accent!)
      -Tammy

      Delete
  3. I love the positive slant on cancel. Thank you for this reminder. Thank you Jesus for cancelling my debt and for giving hope that can never be cancelled. #28 FMF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy, thank you for your kind words here. So glad you visited me too! :)
      -Tammy

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Loretta, so thankful for your visit here. :) I can't wait to read yours!
      -Tammy

      Delete
  5. SO good to see you, Tammy!

    They say that hope will rise again
    to emulate the sun,
    but trapped in this dark web of pain,
    I feel my race is run,
    with no cause for a bright belief
    as tumours block my breath,
    no faith that there may be relief
    upon this side of death.
    But there is still a smallish place
    deep within my soul
    where embers of forgotten grace
    conspire to make whole
    a heart that has so long been broken,
    through a love more felt than spoken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, yet another Thanksgiving and Christmas and 5 years of your voice speaking as a megaphone, proclaiming the truth.
      How different than the first Thanksgiving and Christmas, when we weren't sure you would even see the next year.
      Your courage is now from a position of humility.
      I am grateful for your poem comments on everyone's posts. Your creativity has not ceased. :)
      May God bless you and Barbara and the pups, truly.
      -Tammy

      Delete