Friday, October 27, 2017

Overcome:Five Minute Friday

When I saw that the prompt was “overcome”, I thought hard. Am I overcoming or am I being overcome?
I have had some refining and growing experiences over the past seven days.
And, some reinforcement of those principles as the days have gone on.
God had my full attention, He was calling me to press into him.
And yet, I still was not ready to fully embrace the calling of the moment.
I was stirred, passionate, ready for action, and then I froze.

The results of my inhibition were the exact results I’d predicted, but the aftermath did not leave me unscathed either.
I still had to learn some things about myself.
I’m still processing much of this.
Remember the verse about Mary pondering this in her heart?
I’m trying to do more of that.

I’m reading a book titled “Fiercehearted”, the very first story is on conflict. On embracing conflict.
On the ways that going through conflict actually makes relationships deeper.
I’m the opposite of embracing conflict. I’d rather know I’m right and hold my tongue than risk a flare of nostrils from one being challenged by my words.

There is a time and a season for everything, and I need to see these moments with my spiritual lenses.
My battle is not against flesh and blood but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces. (Eph 6:12)

My friend Marie speaks of standing firm in her post here:
I could so relate! I’m wanting to be Barnabas and encourage others, but sometimes that means speaking truth in love.
It means bracing myself for what is right and how it can clash with what is wrong, and being willing to state that something is wrong.
Oh, friends, this is a scary new place for me, and along with it is overcoming my need for approval.

*time has ended*

Here's the FMF link

Thanks for walking with me, one day at a time.
- Tammy


14 comments:

  1. Conflict is one of my growing edges too. I avoid it at all costs. But you are right...we are called to speak the truth in love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara,
      I'm a week late in replying, but I thank you so much for your love! You are a great encouragement to me.
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  2. Oh, Tammy. God's grace to you in abundance. May you rest in the truth that our Father is doing a good work in you and is with you every step of the way. I'm praying Isaiah 41:10 (NKJV) for you"  
    "Fear not, for I am with you;
    Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you,
    Yes, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." Blessings, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther,
      you blessed me so much last week with these kind words. They soothed my soul. I apologize that my replies are a week late. We just ended the grading period and I was too busy with work to pen my replies here!
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  3. Conflict is never pleasant but sometimes necessary. It's hard to know when to speak and when to hold our tongues. But God is with us. He will give us the words to say when we need to say them. He gives us strength and grace. I pray that you will know His presence and have courage to follow His leading even when it means conflict. Blessings, hugs and much love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayl,
      I thank you for your prayers. Truly, I was so blessed in the outpouring from this post. I regret that my reply is a week tardy, but know how much I needed your support!
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  4. I know that you can and will be brave, dear friend! The Lord is always with you. He will give you exactly what you need in each and every moment. Praying! (mlsgregg.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie,
      oh you dear dear friend! :) I wish that somehow I could loop up and see you when we're in Boise for Thanksgiving.
      We're going to meet in real life, I know it! Thank you for your prayers. I have been richly blessed since speaking out, just poured into by my true friends!
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  5. I feel you, I'm the same with conflict and I'm learning how to be better at it. Well done for facing your fears and trying to grow through hard experiences, that really is all you can do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma,
      you sweet one! Always there to encourage me and support me. Thank you for the kindness you continue to send across the seas. I hope to meet you as well, someday!
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  6. Tammy, you ARE Barnabas. You are our blessing.

    When you embrace conflict, after the flared nostrils have smoothed down, you're in a perfect position to offer a forgiving kiss on the metaphorical cheek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew,
      oh, you are too kind. You and Barbara are extraordinary. It's just a gift to have your fellowship here on this dry and weary land we toil. Thank you, friend. Your words were a balm to me!
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  7. I get you, Tammy! I tend to bite my tongue and never speak the truth (whether in love or anger) if I fear I may offend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita,
      yes, we four-eyed curly-haired intelligent mice...tee hee. :) I am forever grateful to have had time with you this summer! And, I encourage you to see yourself as a warrior. Esther was not a mouse, but a modest woman, who knew when to take a stand and with great preparation and courage. You too are an Esther.
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete