Friday, July 10, 2015

Why I'm glad I broke my phone

Some of you are not clumsy, very careful, and you have never dropped any electronic device you have ever owned.
You don't have to keep reading.

For the rest of us, the occasional fumble and save (or miss) is commonplace. My first valuable electronic item was my college graduation gift of a digital camera. Prior to this, I'd purchase disposable film cameras, have them developed and pay the extra few dollars for a backup disc of the photos.

I remember the horror when I first dropped it. My driveway is asphalt and the chip in the plastic was less than comforting. Still, it survived. That was not the first fall, but there were only a few. (which is why it came with a wrist strap that I should have used faithfully)

My first cell phone was also a fall risk. When I first purchased an actual smartphone, I purchased a cover that would protect it as well as a screen protector. The cover has some significant wear and tear, but the phone is remarkably nice.

This past September I upgraded to the Iphone 5 when the Iphone 6 was released. (read: I like cheap phones) My phone was $1. I was now operating system compatible with my family for the FaceTime (apple skype) option.
I had a cover on it, and rarely did it drop. In the car from a seat onto the slush mat, maybe, but the rubber was absorbent.
Today, though. Today was fateful. Last night my husband and I were discussing distractions and stresses and how we could try to eliminate some of those stresses that demand our attention. He said for us when the computer is on and we're aimlessly spending time on emails or newsfeeds or notifications, it can add stress. He suggested the access on my phone might be adding to my stress.

This morning? I accidentally knocked the phone off my bathroom counter to the floor. It landed squarely on its back. About a three foot drop onto a tile floor. It slapped. There was no bounce, no glance, just a straight back flop. The sound was ominous and when I picked it up, 2/3 of the screen was no longer normal. It was striped and semi-black and would not respond to my touch.


The phone store said without the phone insurance (dollar phone?), they didn't have a replacement option for me that was inexpensive. So, I'm back to my old smartphone. It's a lot less convenient to check email or notifications, to tweet, and it says there's not enough room for Instagram. The 3.2 megapixel camera isn't exactly an Instagram quality lens, when you think about it.

So today? I was phone-free for a while. Until I had time to activate old faithful. And it really did lessen my load of stress. I couldn't call or text people, but, there was a freedom in that.

Remember when if you weren't home, they had to leave a message and wait for your reply? Somehow in our age of instant availability, we have put some serious stress on ourselves. "If I don't respond right away, I am responsible for their feelings!!" Ding! Chime! Chirp!

It would do us good to be in a no-reception area at least once a week and just allow ourselves some peace and quiet. This is why the shepherd leads us beside still waters. To hear that soft water sound that soothes us.

So, though I'm sad to have lost the ability to take great photos in the instant they occur, I'm going to be spending less data, less money, and less time with the digital noise. My people will get more of my attention.

God has spared my phone on other days, but in His wisdom, I think today He let it fly. And I thank Him for it.

Sincerely,
~Tammy

photocredit

11 comments:

  1. Your phone did what my husband's did and he took it to the Apple store in Bridgeport mall and they fixed it. It was only $35 to fix.There should be a place near you that can fix it. :) It is funny how you both were talking about the stresses and distractions. My hubby and I were talking about the same exact thing!!!! I'm making an effort to put the phone down and listen for sounds around me...the birds singing, kids laughing...God's music! Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Simone! It's so good to hear from you! :) I'm so glad we got to meet in person in December. You give amazing hugs.
      And yes, God's music!
      I hope you're right-that it's fixable.
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  2. Why is it that we so easily get sucked into time wasting technology when we know how pleasantly simple life is without it? I like your idea to have a day a week with no access. Makes me want to go climb a mountain! Too bad I'm in mountain-free Texas. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy,
      I totally agree! And the waterfalls I hiked with your mom? I would live at the foot of Watson Falls if I could. Totally found my happy place.
      Looking forward to your next Oregon visit!
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  3. Actually...I don't even have a phone, and for a couple of months, no internet. It was interesting. I did keep the blog alive using my wife's Smart Phone, but all the bells and whistles kind of leave me puzzled...I mean, I have enough to do in life as is.

    Now I have internet, and and old cell phone which will dial 911 if I need it, and beyond that...I'm cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew,
      I think you invented "cool". :)
      My husband has avoided having a cellular phone for about four years and just recently got one. It's a "dumb" phone and cost us less and is cheaper per month.
      He is able to send me texts during the day, which at his former work he did through email (to my phone). My love language is words of affirmation, so it really strengthens us to have that connection during the day.
      (and really stinks the days they have meetings all day long!)

      I'm glad you can call 911...hoping you won't need to.

      ~Tammy

      Delete
  4. I was initially upset when I broke my first iPhone. My husband noticed how sad I was and ended up giving me more love that he had in previous weeks. In all honesty he most likely wanted to give me love for a while. I might have been to distracted to notice him though.

    Clara Brooks @ Telco World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clara,
      I'm so glad you noticed him noticing. :) That's a beautiful testimony to your marriage! Thank you for sharing.
      Love,
      Tammy
      P.S. If you ever want to do a great 30 day devotional, I highly recommend "Wife After God" by Jennifer Smith. She has a website called UnveiledWife.com and I'm leading some ladies through it right now. It's amazing!

      Delete
  5. I too am thrilled that I broke up with my iPhone. I never realized how much of a zombie I had become having the little phone with me. I think I made 1 call that day, but I used the phone to check email, play games, text, play games, and check mail. I wasted half the day on the phone and no more.

    Cordia Remsen @ RB’s Computer Service

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cordia,
      while I did get the phone fixed, it has made me a little more intentional about not wasting the day on the internet. Phone or otherwise, that lure of not being present is a temptation we're all struggling against.
      Thanks for the comment!
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  6. I think this is an informative post and it is very beneficial and knowledgeable. Therefore, I would like to thank you for the endeavors that you have made in writing this article. All the content is absolutely well-researched. Thanks... Askılı Cep Telefon Kılıfı

    ReplyDelete