Thursday, September 28, 2017

Depend: Five Minute Friday

Five Minute Friday is here again, and I am finally caught up enough to participate! Here's the weekly linkup if you're interested in reading more about "depend" this week. So much blessing awaits you!

I never thought of being dependable as sinful.

Growing up, I was the oldest of five children and quite Americanized. Independence and self-sufficiency were praised and I flourished in the predictability of being in control and "in charge".

I wanted to prove that I was trustworthy and responsible and could be left alone.

All of these things are necessary for children to live on their own and survive, but in the realm of the faithful, we have much to unlearn.

Depending on somebody else, being co-dependent, needing somebody in order to sustain our own lives—these all are fairly uncomfortable situations for most of us.

This is precisely where God wants us to develop faith.

He reminds us of feeding the sparrows—that their basic needs are met, and how we are worth much more than sparrows to God. How easy it is to forget, as we are coordinating schedules and packing lunches and balancing checkbooks and grocery shopping and folding laundry, that God is supposed to sustain us, not the other way around.

"See, God? I'm doing it all! I'm Instagraming my sweet devo while I'm waiting in the pickup line." "Philippians 4:13, Lord. I can do all things! (through you, of course, but you don't have to worry about me. That friend of mine needs much more of you right now, what with her husband deployed and another one on the way.)"

Oh, sweet sisters (and brothers), can we just remember why God calls us children? We're not supposed to outgrow our need for God.
*timer has sounded*

And, if you wonder if you can Depend on God? This song. Oh, if nothing else you do today, THIS SONG!!! (It's been my anthem this summer, and our High School worship team introduced it at school yesterday. I was beyond ecstatic!)

Love,
Tammy

18 comments:

  1. Gosh, Tammy. First you blessed me by visiting my FMF post, and now this. What beautiful insight. Yes, how stubborn (and sinful) we can be in our prideful self-dependence. Let us fall to our knees and reach for the One who is truly able! And this song! I've never heard it. It's going to be on my playlist! Thank you. xoxoxo And prayers for your sweet friend whose husband is deployed, with a new baby on the way. She can also depend on our great and good Father!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca,
      Thank you for your overflowing kindness! The pregnant friend was a hypothetical example but a very common situation I am aware of. :)
      I am so glad to have been a blessing back!
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  2. Tammy, such great words! As always. And I'm saying, "Me too!" I am an independent woman. And that fierce streak of relying on myself pushes it's determined bossy thoughts into my mind every time I begin to feel overwhelmed, or even feel confident about something. I'm learning to depend on God for everything.

    And this? "We're not supposed to outgrow our need for God." Profound, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne,
      That profundity was the last thought as the timer chimed. :) I am still chewing on it myself. "Me too!" So so grateful to have met you this summer!!
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
    2. Same here. You, my friend, are an amazing woman!!

      Delete
  3. Oh me too sister! Great post! Blessed to be your neighbor at FMF this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara,
      I just love you! :) I will have time to catch up tomorrow on visiting others. Thank you for always coming to see me!
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  4. See, Go, I'm doing it a...

    Oops, sorry. Cancer. Might need some help, here.

    Great post, Tammy, and love the song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew,
      You made me laugh out loud!
      Thank you for your visit and your delightful comments.
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  5. I love that you featured this song- that has been one of my favourites this year too! And I am also far too easily driven towards trying to be independent instead of acknowledging how much I need God. I love your comment that we are his children and that is not something we're meant to outgrow. Visiting from #22.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley,
      All the me too's make a girl feel like family! I am grateful for your visit and excited that you love this song too.
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  6. "We're not supposed to outgrow our need for God."

    Whew, that's a good word.

    I, too, am all about being responsible. Over-responsible. It's stressful and exhausting. Thanks for the reminder to rest in Him. - Marie (mlsgregg.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie,
      Ha ha it's that curly hair reminding us we're never going to be in control!! I am grateful you mentioned "rest" as that's my word for the season.
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  7. As faithful we have a lot to unlearn, that's an interesting way to put it, Tammy! And it's so true...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katha.
      I am so glad to have resonated with you! That is what keeps me coming back every time to FMF. Thank you for encouraging me.
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  8. Oh Tammy I so appreciate your post. It is something that I needed and need to share. I grew up as a child of divorce whose mother had to work and before that both parents worked as well. I was always taking care of myself. As a single mom, I again took care of it. I often think "Others have it so much worse. Who am I to take up the Lord's time?" You gave me a good soft shake.

    Have a beautiful day! (visiting from FMF #60)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly,
      Oh my heart is hugging you right now!! You are so precious and I am glad to have helped remind you that you don't have to do it all by yourself.
      Love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  9. Stephanie,
    I agree. And I think I will be having to learn to give up control and trust Him every day I am on Earth. I have a lot of control to unlearn! :)
    Thanks for being here!
    Love,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete